Thursday, July 17, 2014

why punk rock yoga



why punk rock yoga?  

what does ‘punk rock’  mean to you?   for my friends punk rock means a whole bunch of different things ranging from ‘i used to really go to cbgbs’, to committed fans of sex pistols, ramones or rancid, to odd people who put moby in that same category, to others that think it’s just a fashion statement!  for me it is all of those things, (barring maybe a couple artists that some people say are punk that just sound like folk music)!  the theme that i see in all the different definitions is that whether it’s the noise, the way you look or the way you think, its about pushing up against the world and breaking other peoples rules whether they are about the way you look or what sounds good or whatever.  this pushing up against, defiance and fight is one that i think needs to go deeper than just our jeans choice, beyond our music options and into our very souls.   our complacency is abetting our judgement and in a practice of becoming more yourself sometimes we need the power of kali and such to break through the illusions and misconceptions that keep us apart and small.

“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure" -Peter Marshall

the spirit that i want to foster in the world is one of love. yeah, like a bunch of other cool peeps, sanga, sanga! well easier said than done, as your own biography might tell you too, love is…. and again we will get a thousand replies, a thousand ways of showing it and the dramas that ensue.   it doesn't seem to be that hard to love people you agree with it is the 'others'  that are so hard.   most of what i find is that i am standing in my own way, that i am the obstacle.  that my perspective can be wrong, skewed and distorted, and i think my way into my feeling instead of creating into my feeling so that then i can feel my way into my thinking.  when i recognize these struggles in my self i imagine the other people could have similar challenges and some times therefore miss with their aim, but their arrow still could be true. then something else has to be my guide than just my singular judgement.  and this is where the punk rock thing comes in for me, that if i am constantly assigning unspoken rules to every thing and i need to let go of those to find my true way.  punk rock as in fuck the rules, and find out what you know, see and can create as the amazing being that you are.

Be wild and crazy and drunk with Love,
if you are too careful, Love will not find you. ~Rumi



No comments:

Post a Comment